Sunday, July 31, 2005

Basketball Jones

Since I was a little kid I've always loved playing basketball. My dad played football (TE) in high school, but my uncle played basketball, and taught me that predominantly because he didn't particularly cotton to the idea of my playing football for some reason. We would always go to the outdoor courts and play 1 on 1 when I was about 7 years old, and then we'd play horse, and he'd thoroughly dominate me on both counts. I grew up with basketball, always loved watching it, playing it, basically anything that had to do with it. Growing up during the Jordan years afforded me some of the best basketball I could watch, granted his winning and retiring and gambling got repetitive, but when he played...wow.

So all this basketball talk brings me to where I am now. I play about 5 times a week at the Y, always after I lift, because I need to get cardio, and I really enjoy playing. It's probably the healthiest thing I do, considering I do nothing else other than lift, watch TV and drink, sadly enough. It's also good to meet all the different sorts of people that play there. There's a good core of about 30 people that come on a regular basis, and they're some of the funniest and intense people you'll meet. The average age is probably around 26 or so, with a good amount of middle teenage kids and a good amount of guys in their upper 30's. There are some assholes that will talk a lot of shit out there, just like every court, but for the most part it's a good group of guys. After games people just sit around and talk about whatever, ball, life, whatever's going on in the world. It's probably been the most constantly entertaining thing in my life, and thinking about it makes me want to go play. So I'm gonna do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home