Wednesday, May 11, 2005

So I'm home.

Yesterday was a pretty bittersweet day. Or maybe I should actually say a sweetbitter day, as the sweet likely outweighs the bitter. I moved out of Lewis dorm. I moved out of housing affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...forever. I moved out of leaky, jungle rot ridden showers, toilets that remain clogged for the entire weekend, and I moved out of the irritation of having to typically take my keys to enter the bathroom with said clogged toilets. Sure I'll miss it when I look back upon it, but for now, having my own bathroom and not having certain people with the gravitational pull of a small elephant plop down on my futon at full speed (and subsequently breaking the metal support) will do just fine.

However, on the ride home, after packing all my memories of my junior year, and in fact the rest of my dorm life in the rented Navigator (defintely tight to drive that around for a bit around the QC), I got to thinking how life in the dorms has changed me as a person. It's taught me how to deal with different situations, and was a great transition from living at home full time to becoming somewhat self regulated (emphasis on somewhat). Freshman year taught me to somewhat manage my time,but mostly, taught me how to NOT succeed. Late night food, to much hall partying and drinking, and lack of emphasis on school left me 25 pounds heavier and my GPA struggling. Sophomore year taught me moderation, and I met a lot of really good friends. Wile-Out All Stars started this year, and we're still running strong, Monty's, TO THE BARS!, the Wile-Out summer beach , and countless other outings. Losing that freshman 25 was good too. Living with LaShaun was definitely my most rewarding experience during college. He's such a good person, strong in his faith and determined in his goals. Junior year taught me how to truly manage studying and going out, while completing all my other responsibilities. It also taught my liver how to process LOTS of beer. Oh yeah, winning the NATIONAL TITLE. Spring Break in the Bahamas, getting even tighter with Wile-Out, and finding that all things and people are not as they seem. Lessons learned every year.

Now I'm back for another summer in Charlotte. A summer NOT involving the YMCA. Thankfully. I'll be working an unpaid internship in a law firm, and getting another job, hopefully as a server somewhere where I can get good hours and make some good money. I turn 21 in 8 days, which is awesome. I'll be here, but there's room for about 4 or 5 people in the house, so if anyone wants to make the trip down to celebrate with me next weekend...

I'll miss the times I had in Ehringhaus, HoJo North, and Lewis Dorms. I won't miss a lot of aspects of dorm life, but I'll never forget what it gave me. A diverse appreciation for everyone, a meaningful form of respect for those with whom I live and interact every day, and shaping my character for my first three years at UNC. next year at Town House will be nice, convinient, and I'll have my own damn bathroom, however, I wouldn't trade my three years in the dorm for anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home