Sunday, June 05, 2005

And I thought it couldn't be done again.

Yesterday (Saturday, June 4th) will be a day that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Now those of you who regularly read my sparsely updated blog (assuming anyone does), or check my away messages from time to time know that I'm in full swing of Operation Ben Wallace. Basically, the goal of operation Ben Wallace is to improve my body both inside and outside through working out 6 times a week, which includes some combination of lifting weights, playing basketball, and riding on the stationary bike here at the house (typically around 7 miles or so). I've realized that I want to just get a little more muscular and have a little less fat on my body, and want to do it without any unnatural pills or anything like that. So since I've gotten home, I've played basketball, lifted, or biked for 21 days out of the 25 that I've been back. I'm already noticing results and feeling better and I have a lot more stamina. This is definitely a good thing. However, I like more tangible results as well. Yesterday was the most tangible result I'd seen not only over the summer, but possibly over the past 3 years.

Yes, on June 4th, in the middle of a pick-up basketball game, I dunked the basketball. Not just a normal dunk either, an alley-oop, an unintentional finish. We were on a 2 on 1 fast break, and my teammate threw the ball up in front of the basket. I jumped to catch it, and simply realized both my hands were at basket level. I caught the ball and threw it down, hung on the rim for a split second (pulling myself up a bit) and then dropped down. Everyone in the court was silent, except for a solitary "holy shit" from Chris, a 17 year old kid that's a baller on this AAU team here in Charlotte, shoots the lights out. Then everyone on the court just came up to me, the game stopped for a littl while. I felt weird, but very accomplished. I hadn't legitimately dunked a ball in 3 years. A smile cracked on my face, and I ran down to play defense. Our team ended up winning by a comfortable margin.

This event meant more than a lot of what I'd done in a long time physically. It showed me that I have a lot of athletic ability in me, and a lot of potential in me that I haven't tapped before. well I'm gonna tap that potential. I'm gonna be the best at what i do because I won't settle for less. I'm already motivated, this just gave me a lot more motivation. All because of one throwdown in an inconsequential basketball game.

Don't get me wrong, this won't involve any significant lifestyle change, like less drinking, well maybe a little less eating unhealthy, but it will involve me getting the best out of myself. And that's the thing I really needed. All because of one throwdown in a pickup basketball game...

1 Comments:

Blogger Rell said...

"Jordan!"

June 10, 2005 at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home